Last Updated on March 26, 2023 by hassan abbas
We often get asked the question ‘what is the difference between a flower vase online and planters online?’. It can be a tricky one, as these decorative items for house have many similarities and both make versatile additions to your home decor. But to help you make an informed decision, we’ve put together this blog post that outlines 10 essential differences between vases and planters. Read on if you want to learn more!
1. Size & Shape
Firstly, let’s look at size and shape. Generally speaking, planters are much larger than vases in terms of width and depth. While vases are mostly cylindrical, planters come in all shapes and sizes – from oval-shaped troughs to tall cylinder pots. The Victorian Decorative Ceramic Vase has a beautiful shape and is perfect for a bouquet of colourful flowers. That said, there are some exceptions – such as smaller bowl-shaped planters that could easily be confused with a flower vase online or a pottery dish!
2. Material & Texture
In terms of material and texture, most vases tend to be made of glass or ceramic whereas planters are typically made from terracotta or plastic. With glass vases, you can expect smooth surfaces with shiny finishes whereas ceramic ones may have intricate designs or textured surfaces for added visual interest. As for planters, textures range from the classic terracotta finish (which is great for adding warmth) to more contemporary options such as concrete or lacquered plastic. The Checkered Glamour Decorative Ceramic Vase has a charming, checkered pattern that will enhance any room’s decor style.
3. Purpose & Usage
The purpose of a flower vase online is usually decorative – whether it’s displaying flowers or just looking pretty on its own. On the other hand, planters are designed with functionality in mind – think plants! These decorative items for house provide the ideal environment for your plants to grow healthily by allowing excess water to drain away while also providing adequate air circulation around their roots. This makes them perfect for outdoor spaces where they can liven up patios and balconies alike. The Modish Gold Planter is a versatile option that looks great whether it’s indoors or outdoors!
4. Waterproofing & Maintenance
Vases need special care when it comes to waterproofing; unless you buy one specifically designed for use with water (e.g., fish tank), then it should never be filled beyond halfway full with liquid as this could damage the material or lead to leaking over time due to weight displacement (not ideal!). Planters online, however, tend not to come into contact with water directly so there’s no need for special waterproofing measures here — although as always with any pottery item it’s important that you keep it clean and well-maintained if you want it to last!
5. Weight & Stability
The weight and stability of a flower vase online vs. planters online are quite different too. Vases tend to be very lightweight, making them easy to move around and arrange however you like. Planters, on the other hand, are much heavier (especially when they’re full of soil and plants!) so they require more stability in order to remain upright. This is why many planters online come with heavy bases or stand-alone supports – it helps keep them level even when the soil and plants start to add a bit of extra weight.
6. Price & Durability
As you would expect, both vases and planters online can be expensive. Planters are usually made from heavier materials that offer greater durability and strength. This means they can last a lot longer than vases, helping you to get more bang for your buck! Vases, however, tend to be slightly cheaper and more fragile – they may not last as long, but their delicate beauty can add a special touch to any home.
Now that you know about the key differences, let’s focus on 5 maintenance tips for both vases and planters.
Top 10 Maintenance Tips for Vases & Planters
These tips should help keep your vase and planter looking its best! With the right care, you can enjoy these decorative and functional pieces for many years to come. Keep in mind though that different materials may require special care, so be sure to refer to the manufacturer’s instructions before using any cleaning products.
1. Clean your vase & planter regularly with a soft cloth and mild detergent to keep it looking its best.
2. Avoid abrasive cleaners and scrubbing too hard as this could damage the surface.
3. When changing out water for a vase, do not overfill it as this can cause leakage or weight displacement which may lead to breakage.
4. If your planter is made from terracotta, make sure that you don’t leave it sitting in water for too long as this can lead to cracking.
5. Always use a liner when planting to avoid soggy soil which can damage the pot or lead to root rot.
6. Make sure to use the correct size of pot for your plant – too small and it won’t be able to spread its roots, too big and it could become waterlogged.
7. If you’re using a plastic planter, make sure to look out for UV damage as this can cause discoloration or cracking over time.
8. Water your plants regularly and make sure to check for any pests that may be living in the soil or around the leaves of the plant.
9. If you have a glass vase, don’t forget to use a coaster or mat underneath it to avoid scratches on surfaces when shifting its position.
10. Make sure that your vase and planter are in a well-ventilated area to prevent mould or mildew from forming.
If you are trying to decide between a vase and a planter, then hopefully this blog post has given you some useful insight into the differences between these two popular decorative items for house. Generally speaking, vases tend towards being decorative pieces while planters serve a practical purpose but there are exceptions depending on size/shape/material used etc… So now that you know what sets them apart why not go ahead and pick out your favorite one today? Happy decorating!