Apostille is a way that certifies the information written in the document as real and authentic. This is an essential step for all the Hague Nations. In 1961, all the countries came together to simplify a way to use the document in other foreign countries. The solution that came in the Hague Convention is “Apostille”.
Explain single status certificate Apostille
A single status certificate Apostille is a document that lets people know that the person whose name is mentioned in the certificate is not married to anyone. This certificate can also be used if a person is divorced or a widow, to tell a foreign country about his/her single status. A person can see a sample copy of an affidavit. The certificate is issued by the country where the person is born.
In India, there is no special certificate like this so the applicant writes themselves and gets it attested by the authorities. In this document date, time, place, and everything is mentioned. The document gets an apostille stamp from the MEA. This stamp let the nation know that all the details mentioned in the certificate are accurate.
Why does a person require a single status certificate Apostille?
There are several cases that make the single status certificate apostille essential. The cases are stated below:
- When an applicant wants to get married in a foreign country.
- If the person wants to get a job in another country and applies for an employment visa.
- When a person wants to get married again in some other country after the death of the spouse.
- In case, an individual wants to marry again after the divorce. Then both divorces, as well as a single status certificate, is essential.
What documents should a person have to get a single status affidavit in India?
There are some documents that are needed to get a single status affidavit in India. These are mentioned below:
- Original single status certificate
- In case the person has divorced then a divorce certificate along with a single status certificate is required.
- A photocopy of the passport is required but only on the front and last page.
- If the spouse of the applicant has died then the death certificate and a single certificate (both original) are needed.
- A letter from both parents stating that their child is having single status along with the photocopy of the Aadhar card of both parents is to be submitted.
- A photocopy of the Aadhar card of the applicant is also needed.
- A birth certificate (photocopy) is essential.
A complete procedure to get the single status certificate Apostille
The procedure for the single status apostille is very simple and can be completed in a few days. Follow the below-mentioned steps to understand the process carefully.
- Notary Attestation: The notary will check the documents along with other supporting documents. After the verification, the single status certificate is attested by the notary.
- State/SDM Attestation: Further, the documents are given to State or SDM for attestation. Here, both authorities will follow similar steps for attestation. The certification details are examined and then the certificate is attested with a stamp and signature by any of the authorities.
- Ministry of External Affairs: Moving ahead, the single status certificate is analyzed by the authorities. Each and every detail is taken care of at the time of verification. When the single status certificate is found real and all the details seem to be correct. Then only the documents are attested by an apostille stamp. With this, the attestation process is finished for all the Hague Nations.
- Embassy Attestation: In the last and final step, the documents (both major and supporting) along with the embassy fees are submitted to the Embassy. Later on, the documents are given back with embassy attestation when the investigation of the certificate is finished. This is the end of the attestation process for all the nations that are not a member of the Hague Nations.
Which is better: SDM or State Attestation?
Both authorities follow the same procedure for the attestation of documents. So, there is no difference in terms of working.
However, there is a huge difference in the time frame of the authorities. The SDM attestation gets completed in three to five days. On the other side, the state attestation gets completed in three to five weeks. So, it is better to select SDM attestation as it is less time-consuming.
What is the cost that a person has to pay for the single status certificate Apostille?
A person has to pay a sum of money to get a single status certificate Apostille done from a service provider. The charges include:
- Fees paid at several mentioned authorities
- Any pick-and-drop facility taken for documents
- Charges of the apostille service provider.
- Fees also depend on the number and count of documents.
Is there any other name for the single status certificate?
There are some other famous names for the single status certificate.
- Certificate of Freedom to Marry
- Certificate of Nulla Osta.
- Certificate of No Impediment.
- Affidavit of Free Status.
- Certificate de Coutume.
- Single Status Statutory Declaration.
- Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage.
- Single Status Certificate.
Is it possible to get the single status certificate apostille themselves by a person?
A person cannot get an apostille single status certificate themselves. Till 2012, the officials used to allow every individual to visit the Ministry of External Affairs for the attestation. Due to a huge rush at the authorities, the service was stopped then. However, now only the apostille service provider can go and get the attestation of documents done. So, register here to get the single certificate apostille done.
For which countries a person should have a single status certificate?
There are several countries that require a single status certificate apostille. These are listed below:
Australia | Azerbaijan | Austria | Argentina | Belarus | Bulgaria | Brazil | Costa Rica | Canada | Czech | Cyprus | Chile | Denmark | Estonia | Ecuador | France | Finland | Georgia | Germany | Greece | Hungary | Latvia | Lithuania | Luxembourg | Italy | India | Iceland | Ireland | Japan | Jordan | Kazakhstan | Korea | Moldova | Morocco | Malta |Mexico | Mauritius | Netherlands | New Zealand | Norway | Peru | Paraguay | Portugal | Panama | Philippines | Poland | Paraguay | Russia | Sweden | Singapore | South Africa | Switzerland | Ukraine | Spain | Ukraine | USA| UK| Vietnam